
Motivation:
- Discussing patterns as they exist in nature
- Cut fruit and vegetables in half to look at the cross section
- Talk about designers (clothing and interiors) and discuss some of the objects they may use for inspiration
Art Concepts:
- Printmaking on Styrofoam sheets
Cross Curricular links:
- Easily linked to the history of printmaking (renaissance art blocks, modern printing presses)
- Mathematical concepts of shape, and symmetry
- Industrial design
- Social studies – use of printing around the world
Equipment and Materials:
- Styrofoam sheets (could use lunch plates)
- Block Ink
- Wax paper (to act as palette for rolling and mixing ink)
- Brayer (ink roller)
- Construction paper
- Newsprint for test pieces
Step-by-Step Process or Procedure:
1. Discuss elements of design (line, contour, depth etc.)
2. Draw the Design on paper
3. Transfer to Styrofoam (use light box or window on sunny day)
4. Ink the palette with the block ink.
5. Ink the plate using the brayer. If the ink rises off the brayer you have too much ink on it.
6. Lay the plate on the paper and press. Using the warmth of your hand, smooth over the surface.
7. Hang the piece to dry
REFLECTION: I love printmaking! I always have too. I can distinctly remember in the 4th grade having a visiting artist come to my school to do print making in large styrofoam blocks. We were allowed to use any image we wanted. I chose the Tamandua Ant Eater - an animal I had discovered during our unit on the rain forest. This animal followed me every where through out grade four showing up in my art works, drama presentations and short stories - a perfect example on how the sciences can be meaningfully integrated with the arts.
LINK TO TEXT: pg 188 speaks to the convention of printmaking.
No comments:
Post a Comment