This Blog has been set up as a working document for the Trent University course EDUC 4573. Borrowing the idea from my good friend Kristen Schroeder, the purpose of this Blog is to create a space were Arts Education theory and practice can come together in a synthesized way. This site will house theoretical postings and questions, links to resources, as well as practical lessons that I have completed throughout the course.

Activity #6: Sock Puppets


Motivation:
- Introduce the notion of puppetry and its use in society
- Brainstorm different ways to make puppets
- Discuss the concept of making puppets out of found materials (socks)

Art Concepts:
- Puppetry
- Found Object

Cross Curricular links:
- Like bookmaking and quilting, students can create puppets based on a common theme to demonstrate learning.
- Puppets can be used in the dramatic arts and in the oral communication portion of the Language Curriculum

Equipment and Materials:
- Socks (new or used)
- Embellishments (sequins, fabric, buttons)
- Hot glue gun
- Fabric glue
- Cardboard for mouth piece

Step-by-Step Process or Procedure:
1. Have students cut a slit in their sock to insert the cardboard mouth
2. Hot glue a scored piece of cardboard to act as the mouth (assistance required)
3. Start creating the puppet. One method could be to have them brainstorm character traits and have them create a puppet to match – the opposite method would also be successful.
4. Decide what to do with the puppets (see next entry)

REFLECTION: I throughly enjoyed the puppet making process - while I have made many a puppet in my time - never had I made one out of socks. This puppet truly morphed throughout the process, begining as a mean rabbit, to a confused hippo to a rhino. I had no idea that Rhonny would be the result. While my peers chose to embellish thier puppets with buttons and feathers, I wanted to focus on the idea that a sock could be a sculpture. I used a lot of stiches and sculpting in ways I had never done before. I love my puppet!

LINK TO TEXT: pg. 203-204 The text provides an extensive list of puppet types and how to integrate them into your lessons.

No comments: